Monday, October 3, 2011

Perfect Weather for Chili

When I'm in Chile, it will be spring time and nearing summer time by the time I leave in early December. I'm a little sad about missing fall here in South Carolina. Fall is definitely my favorite time of year. I love the colorful leaves, anything pumpkin (especially Starbucks pumpkin spice lattes), Clemson football, crisp air, pumpkins, and the anticipation of the nearing Christmas season. One of my favorite parts of fall (besides my birthday) is that the weather is cool enough to make chili!!

Yesterday I made a big crockpot full of chili. We didn't eat all of it, so I froze the leftovers for Zack to have while I'm in Santiago. Hopefully that will give him a few meals worth of homecooking. I love my chili recipe because it is easy and yummy.

1 lb lean ground beef
1 onion chopped
Yellow mustard (a few teaspoons - however much you'd like)
Brown sugar (a few teaspoons - however much you'd like)
Tomato juice (about a pint, maybe little more)
2 cans of beans (I use 1 can kidney beans, 1 can chili beans)
1 can of diced tomatoes
Chili powder (to taste)

Brown the ground beef with the onion. Drain the grease. Add mustard and brown sugar. Add all ingredients in a crockpot and cook on high for 2-3 hours.

My crockpot is one of the smaller ones (4 quart maybe?) so if you have a family-sized crock pot you may want to increase the amounts. I change the recipe a little bit each time I make it, depending on which beans I have in the pantry. I do not measure any of the ingredients - I just go by what seems right. Sometimes I add other vegetables as well. Like I said though, this recipe is super easy and perfect for a cold day.

Okay, this is not a cooking blog so I'll get off that subject for now. Countdown to Chile: 5 days!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment