Monday, October 31, 2011

Museo de la Memoria y los Derechos Humanos (and a few other things)

On Saturday I took the metro out to the Museo de la Memoria y los Derechos Humanos (Museum of the Memories and Human Rights). The museum is relatively new, and it details the history of the military dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet from 1973 to 1990. The museum is really sad (and quite graphic), but it is important to go if you want to learn about Chile’s political history.


One thing that I learned at the museum which was interesting is that the coup that overthrew the Chilean government occurred on September 11, 1973. That’s when the violent dictatorship of Pinochet began. It’s interesting that September 11 is an infamous day in history for both Chile and the United States.


Anyway, the museum was really interesting and the metro ride to get out there was worth it. It’s kind of like the Holocaust Museum in DC – it’s really somber to go through it but you really shouldn’t miss out on going.


Saturday night I went to the California Cantina in Providencia to watch the Clemson game. It was a rough night for the Clemson family, especially for me since I was the lone Tiger in a restaurant full of Yellow Jackets. Regardless, it was really cool to be able to see Clemson play all the way down here in Chile. (Side note: I ordered a burrito at the cantina and in addition to the normal rice, beans, veggies, it was filled with French fries. Bizarre.)


Well, this is a four-day weekend in Chile, so even though it’s Monday I didn’t have to work! I went on a day trip today with some co-workers to Valparaiso and Vina del Mar (the coast!). I’ll write about that another time after I have my pictures uploaded.


In the meantime, Happy Halloween to everyone!


Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment